Ideally, use a mandolin to slice the beets and fennel nice and thin; but be careful because roasted beets can be very slippery!
- 2 lbs beets
- 1 c fennel greens
- 1 c sliced fennel bulb (2-4 mm thick)
- 1 c grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- ⅓ c fresh chives, chopped
- Butter for greasing the baking dish
- 3 eggs
- ¾ c whole milk
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Clean beets, and wrap each one in foil.
- Roast for 60 minutes.
- Unwrap foil, and let beets cool until cool enough to handle (30-60 minutes depending on size of beets and your heat tolerance).
- Combine all your “herb mixture” ingredients and mix together.
- Combine all the “milk mixture” ingredients and whisk until the milk and eggs are well incorporated.
- Slice beets thinly (2-4 mm), preferably on a mandoline.
- Butter a 2-quart baking dish. Layer the gratin in this order from bottom up:
- Sliced fennel
- Herb mix
- Milk mix
- Fennel greens
- Repeat two more times (3 layers total)
- Bake for 30 minutes, remove foil, and bake for 10-15 minutes more. Let stand briefly before serving.